My Dear Co-Believers,
Sometimes an event or some experiences cause different and deep reflections. It was today, on the first day of Spring, we were saying goodbye to brother Ryszard Wdzięczkowski. There were only 10 people in the chapel of Tobin Brothers Funerals. We were sad and at the same time we didn’t feel it. For there were two things that helped us to find some strength during the funeral.
Firstly there was a note in brother Ryszard’s Bible at Psalm 91 — „This is my beloved Psalm”.
I knew this Psalm so well, but this time I decided to study its message again to find out what was so special for brother Ryszard.
Probably it was the unusual sense of security we can find in God, in Jesus.
Probably the way of perfecting our own faith, trust in His great promises.
Probably finding the deep meaning of our life in waiting patiently for the coming of the Lord.
Probably also the learning how to be grateful for everything He gives us.
For in this Psalm God gives us unusual promises. I’ll quote them for you as the special words of comfort and support. Please notice my own highlights. Psalm 91:14-16 (NKJV)
“Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him;
I will set him on high, because he has known My name.
He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will deliver him and honour him.
With long life I will satisfy him,
And show him My salvation.”
There was also another surprise. In brother Ryszard’s Bible there was a small piece of paper on which he had written on both sides, 10 points of his gratefulness. Maybe it is this strength that brought a smile on his face, his kindness and peace?
1. Thank you, God, for my long life.
2. Thank you for health and physical strength.
3. Thank you for saving my leg from the risk of amputation.
4. Thank you for abundant material resources.
5. Thank you, God, for many great Friends.
6. Thank you for the ideal peace and such a calm dwelling place.
7. Thank you, God, for the salvation in Jesus Christ.
8. Thank you for God’s Words that build my faith, hope and love to all people who surround me each day.
9. Thank you, God, for the safe driving of my car.
10. Thank you, God, for sad experiences, that showed me all shortcomings of my life.
Touching, for did he forget about pandemic, about depression that harasses others? No, for only in being close to God we may feel the taste of victory, that is for everyone and will be fully when our Lord will come back.
I wish such experience for all of you and also myself, for His glory.
Pastor Roman Chalupka